MINUTES of KXNM BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Wednesday – June 20, 2018
Present: Art Swenka, Dixie Swenka, John Griego, Ladd Hagmaier, Bill Simms, Randy Wright
Not Present: Barbara Kinney, Jo Onarheim, Norm Onarheim
Art Swenkacalled the meeting to order at 2:00 p.m.
The Pledge of Allegiance was said by all present.
A quorum was met with 6 of 9 directors present.
AGENDA: Bill Simmsmotioned to approve the agenda as submitted.
Randy Wrightseconded, and it was approved by all.
MINUTES: John Griegomotioned to accept the minutes from the May 16th meeting. Bill Simmsseconded the motion, and it was approved by all.
Randy Wright made a motion to accept the actions of the Board Meeting on May 16, 2018, which met as a committee of the Board, since a quorum was not met for the meeting. It was seconded by Dixie Swenka, and approved by all.
VICE PRESIDENT’S REPORT: Bill Simmsreported on programming including re-broadcasting the Firearms Safetyprograms hosted by Don Gallahue, who recorded 54 shows. Bill noted, there may be a need to update information reported on some shows, where gun laws have changed, since the original broadcast. Another show, Explore the Back 40is also scheduled for re-broadcast in the future. This show was hosted by Elizabeth Tinnin,who recorded about 50 shows on local wildlife.
Bill also said, that FFA reports were in transition from summer break to the start of school. Reports are continuing during the break, and only one scheduled report was missed. Bill is working with the FFA advisor at Moriarity H.S. to ensure that reporting deadlines are met.
Randy Wright presented a draft “Certificate of Achievement” for FFA reporters that was reviewed and approved by the Board. These certificates will be presented to FFA reporters by Bill and Art at the various FFA annual award dinners.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT: Art Swenka reported that the tower repairs will be completed soon. Four new jumper cables were ordered and will be installed on the tower within the next few weeks. These repairs will boost the station’s signal from 4.2 kw to 4.9 kw.
Art also reported that backup generators are needed for the tower and the station’s office and studios. The cost of these generators is about $3.700.00 each, plus installation. Randy Wrightsuggested that this project could be funded from a grant from the McCune Foundation. Randy will research the feasibility of getting a McCune grant and report his findings at the next Board meeting.
TREASURER’S REPORT: John Griego provided a detailed Income Statement and Balance Sheet through May 2018. Overall, the station’s financial position is positive and is expected to improve throughout the year with new underwriters increasing revenue, and with fewer expenses, since major expenses like royalty and insurance payments were paid in the first quarter.
Art Swenkarequested a monthly income statement, in addition to the year-to-date income statement, and for clarification on the sub-categories in the income statement. Art and John Griegowill meet on June 26thwith Joyce McKinnison reorganizing the sub-categories.
PROGRAMMING: Bill Simms discussed programming in the Vice President’s Report.
COMMITTEEREPORT: No committee reports were made.
- Underwriting andProgramming – Art Swenka recruited three new underwriters and two additional underwriters are pending. These underwriters are supporting the station as a donation, rather than sponsoring a specific program.
- Fundraising – Dixie Swenkadiscussed new announcements for donations that are being broadcast, and expressed concern, that they are not working. Although, the station received a $100.00 donation from the owner of Pizza Barn, as a result of these announcements. In an attempt to increase donations, Randy Wrightsuggested using the phrase “listener supported” preceding KXNM anytime it is broadcast. Directors and station management liked the idea and will implement it.
- Get the building and grounds ready for summer – Art Swenka commended Collette Valdez andBarbara Kinney for their landscaping and beautification projects around the station. Art also thanked Bill Simms andKeith Smith for the lighting and other building improvements they completed. Art will mow the grounds later in the summer.
- By-Laws – In accordance with the By-Laws, the annual meeting of the Board is scheduled for June. This made sense, when the station’s fiscal year ended in June. During the annual meeting a summation of the board’s activity during the FY are reported and doing this in June does not make sense. Directors discussed moving the annual meeting to reflect the new FY starting in January 2020, and moving this year’s annual meeting from June to July.
This change to the By-Laws will be presented and voted on at the next Board meeting scheduled for July 18, 2018.
- Board of Director Roster – Art Swenka and Dixie Swenkadiscussed the current roster of directors, inactive directors and directors emeritus. Consequently, they recommended recruiting new directors and expanding Board membership.
The next meeting is the Annual Meeting of the Board of Directors, and it is scheduled for Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 2 p.m. at the KXNM Offices and Studios in McIntosh.
The meeting adjourned at 3:50 p.m.
Respectfully Submitted: Approved:
Randy Wright, Secretary Arthur J. Swenka, President
# # # End # # #