Minutesof KXNM BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Wednesday, February 15, 2017
PRESENT: Art Swenka, Bill Simms, Dixie Swenka, Randy Wright, John Griego, Barbara Kinney, Jo Onarheim, Norm Onarheim
Not Present: Rhoda Geduld, Ladd Hagmaier, Pat Lincoln, Matt Page, Blake Williams
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 PM
The Pledge of Allegiance was said by all present.
Quorum was met with eight directors present.
AGENDA:Dixie Swenkamade a motion to accept the agenda as presented and John Griegoseconded. Approved: all.
MINUTES:Dixie Swenkamade a motion to accept the minutes from the January 18, 2017 meeting with two changes, including changing the date of the next scheduled meeting from February 22, 2017 to February 15, 2017 and correcting one typo. John Griego seconded the motion. Approved: all.
- Randy Wrightreported on discussions with Sean Simplicio, CPB Consultant and Ernest Sanchez, Station Attorney about applying for a 2017 Community Service Grant. Three recommendations were made during the teleconference:
1. The station should apply for a CSG Level B grant (requires 300K in NFFS funding and 1.5 full-time employees)
2. Provide approved documentation about the appraised value of the station’s buildings, land and calculate in-kind professional services like engineering, station management, operations, programming, grant writing (all of these count as NSSF funding)
3. Submit the application, as soon as possible, after the application date opens (applications are reviewed in the order they are received).
TREASURER’S REPORT: John Griegoprovided a detailed P&L Statement and Balance Sheet for February 2017 and for the fiscal year.
The station’s surplus through February and as projected through FY 16-17 is significantly higher than the surplus for FY 15-16. In future reports, John will provide and compare financial data from the same time frame of the previous year.
Jo Onarheimmade a motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented, and Norm Onarheimseconded. Approved: all.
PROGRAMMING REPORT: Art Swenkareported that three new
programs are in development:
- “The Country Music Hit Parade,” produced by Joe Winterwill feature the “Top 20 Country Songs” from 50 years ago.
- “The X-change” is a pre-recorded program that provides a platform for listeners to sell, trade or give away items. It will air on Saturdays at 10 am.
- Bill Simmswill investigate producing a show featuring interviews
are interested in conducting interviews and include: Judy Garcia
from Torreon, Mario Brioand Dixie Boyle, both from
Art also reported that Blake Williams wants to teach a class at the station on “Radio Law”
VICE PRESIDENT’S REPORT: Bill Simmsreported on the continued success of the FFA reporters and Dixie Boyle’songoing interest in creating shows for Archaeology in Your Backyard. Discussions continue with Blake Williams on moving broadcasting from Moriarty to the Station’s studios in McIntosh.
Bill also led a discussion on the need to and the advantages of archiving the station’s local shows like the “Equine Compass” and “Tomatoes Chickens and Bees.”
PRESIDENT’S REPORT: Art Swenka reported that underwriting from the Albuquerque market has substantially increased. Art and the sales team developed a new underwriting program specifically for Albuquerque businesses called the “Radio Pioneers”. Marketing materials for this new program are under development.
OLD BUSINESS: Dixie Swenka reported that Joe Winterwould help with the integration and training for NATURAL LOG/SIMIAN.
Item 13. Employees: Directors did not discuss employees.
Item 14.Programs: Directors discussed programsin both the Programming and Vice President’s Reports.
The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 2 pm at the KXNM Offices and Studios in McIntosh.
The meeting adjourned at 3:50 PM
Respectfully Submitted on 2/16/17 Approved:
Randy Wright, Secretary Arthur J. Swenka, President